There’s usually a bit of a post-Oscar lull in March, and then things start to pick up again. A number of films have been on my radar for quite a while, and several of them are coming up soon. So here are my top 10 most anticipated films from now until the end of June (in order of release date).
- Mommy (dir Xavier Dolan) – Won the Jury Prize at the Cannes Film Festival last year, and piqued my curiosity for this reason.
- Wild Tales/Relatos Salvajes (dir Damián Szifrón) – Only lost out to Ida for foreign language Oscar this year, which is nothing to be ashamed of. Plus Ricardo Darín.
- Jauja (dir Lisandro Alonso) – Stars Viggo Mortensen, who is usually worth watching.
- The Salvation (dir Kristian Levring) – You had me at Mads Mikkelsen. But also, a Danish revenge Western also featuring Eric Cantona …
- Avengers: Age of Ultron (dir Joss Whedon) – Because Avengers, stoopid.
- Far from the Madding Crowd (dir Thomas Vinterberg) – The director’s last film The Hunt was a great film, and his latest also stars Carey Mulligan, Matthias Schoenaerts, Michael Sheen and Juno Temple.
- Rosewater (dir Jon Stewart) – Gael Garcia Bernal ‘s films have been in my top five of the year for the past three years, so why would I not want to see this? Also curious to see Jon Stewart’s directorial debut.
- Clouds of Sils Maria (dir Olivier Assayas) – Another film which has been on my radar since Cannes last year.
- The Dead Lands (dir Toa Fraser) – I am currently still mid-love affair with all things New Zealand, so this is an obvious choice. Also, a film entirely in Māori will be new for me.
- Miss Julie (dir Liv Ullman) – a Strindberg play, directed by Liv Ullman, starring Jessica Chastain and Samantha Morton is must-see. But Colin Farrell.
Keep checking back to read my thoughts after I’ve viewed my choices.