Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets
You may recall that I did not like director Luc Besson’s previous feature film Lucy AT ALL.
But I had seen and heard the reviews, and I do like Jupiter Ascending, so I was prepared to give Valerian a go.
Good choice, Marie! Yes there are things wrong with the film, but I had real fun in its presence so :-p to you if you didn’t. There’s a whole bunch of stuff that I really, really liked, and also a few things that were unnecessary and whose inclusion I didn’t fully understand, but I almost feel like I need to watch it again to get the full benefit of the visual tapestry which Besson has woven for this world.
Things that I really, really liked:
- The opening sequence set to the Bowie track
- The world of Müll and its inhabitants – such vibrant colours, and that iridescent blue pearlised skin-effect was just beautiful
- The sequence taking place in multiple dimensions – really well handled
- The Star Wars meets Jupiter Ascending aesthetic
- Ethan Hawke as a Space Pimp!
- Rihanna, surprisingly
- Cara Delevingne, even more surprisingly
Things that were, admittedly, a little puzzling
- Laureline spends most of the film demonstrating that she is driven by her head and following orders. Yet in the end she tries to convince us that she’s the renegade? Whereas he’s been flouting the rules all along, yet won’t disobey orders JUST AT THE END WHEN IT’S OBVIOUSLY THE RIGHT THING TO DO according to the film’s world?
- I haven’t seen Dane DeHaan in very much so I’m not sure – but does he actually talk like a cut price Keanu Reeves in real life or did he make this a strange decision to channel him? Coz that wasn’t necessary.
- Staying Alive? Please.
- Not sure what the food parade was all about.
- Do we really need that complete explanation of everything which occurs at the end? I had already figured it all out by then, so this was totally unnecessary exposition as far as I’m concerned.
Anyway, I liked it just fine thank you very much, and will be picking this up on Blu-ray when it’s released. So there.